Tuesday, March 17, 2020

66.0 A Lovely Gift For IT Guys. Oh Sorry... IT Professionals! The Start Of A Fantastic Career Journey. Lol...






With the completion of my higher studies, I wanted to move to my desired field. Though there were related opportunities, I wanted to start my career as a Software Developer. It was my dream. So, I was waiting for that opportunity by ignoring some other vacancies. Though I completed projects with coding for my studies, the employers were looking for employees with some more experiences.



Though my friends said that it is a tough and stressful job for a girl, I wanted that career path. They pointed out the struggle that their development team is putting on to convince me. But you know. I wanted that path. So, one of our senior colleagues asked me to develop a small project as the credentials to show, and I did it for an inventory control system. It was an addition to the coded projects I did for higher studies. So, it was the beginning I expected, and I was ready to accept my dream path even for any payment.




I could keep the first step in my career path as a Trainee VB.Net Programmer. After an induction program, they assigned us to teams under seniors. I started working on commercial projects, and it was a great feeling for me. However, it was not like the inventory system I developed by myself, and there were many coding rules to adopt. However, I could not continue that job for more than one year, and I moved to another place. It was a small organization, and there were very few employees. We met clients, gathered business requirements, develop the system, and test the system before handing over it to the clients.




So, it was the job of an all-rounder. However, job retention was very less, and most of the employees resigned after a few months. The rest of the team had to get the responsibility of their pending work. When I had to face it, I had to fix the issues that clients have communicated without studying the system’s code even. It was a horrible problem for all of us. Sometimes, it is not possible at all when it comes to fixing something that developed with a mess-up code without best practices.




So, in such a situation, our management asked me to visit the client's place and fix all the problems. She also came with me. When we moved there, there was a group of people to communicate their issues. So, now I'm going to touch someone's pending work to fix the problem. They served tea and snacks. They also sat with me to check the status of the issues. From time to time they asked the status of the issues. Though I wanted to tell them that "shut up... I'm not a machine, and this is not like a product that you can buy from a shop", I kindly requested more time to fix the issues. Meantime, they did not forget to discuss new requirements and root causes for the problems too. “I’m bearing up their burden, men……”. Lol... So, it was uncomfortable like hell, and I could not focus on the trouble.




After facing similar issues, I understood its difficulty and thought to change my career field. One of my colleagues also changed the career track, and it was the end for her too. In that company, there was one colleague, and he used to keep the phone receiver away when someone was communicating their system issues. As it is not a good thing to do, we asked him to listen to them. But he did not like to hear even their voice because of the tension they gave at the client's places. It was such an experience. So, I could say that it was the end of one of my dreams. Lol...




Software Testing! It was my destiny. Who knows? If I knew that, then I would start my career as a Tester without struggling as a developer. As it has been dragging for over 12 years, there are many memories. I could join a workplace I loved the most, and joining with them was my second career dream. Lol... I can remember the way I felt sad when I missed the first opportunity. But, later on, I could fulfill my dream. Therefore, the first day was an enjoyable moment like nothing. I enjoyed it a lot with other newcomers who had the same craziness. Some of them are still working at that company. I think they are their fixed assets. Lol...




We joyfully completed the induction programs also and moved to work. I could say that it was another chapter of my life. The life had stuck with "Testing". But the friends and that culture were some motivation factors. So, the workload was not a problem for a couple of years, and "work till the late night was not a problem at all. Lol...




Though it was an enjoyable time, that schedule was not bearable for all the time.  Some colleagues could have free time after finishing one project. But it was only five days for me for the entire five years. When I was working for European projects, I had to work for their time zones too. When the systems are going live, our heartbeats were started increasing a couple of days before the live day. If there was a major issue that we could not find out after going live, then it was the end of the job. One incident could spoil all the good jobs done. So, nobody wanted to get that black mark for their software modules. So, it was a stressful situation. Some of our colleagues went to religious places before go-live and asked for support because of this situation. Though it made us laugh for days, they did as so because of the afraid they had to face such situations.




Therefore, that job and the modules were attached to our personal lives. I think that's why some of our fellows were taking the support of religious places also. They took the project's issues as their problems. Most of our colleagues took their responsibility and they put the maximum effort. I think, that culture created such a bond between employee and job. Most of the colleagues did not check the time when they were working on their tasks. They wanted to finish it somehow and do the needful. I could say that work exposure could change our normal lifestyle.




#blog #blogging #gift #it #professionals #career #jobs #journey #computer #studies #software #development #softwaretesting #testing #qualityassuance #qa #organization #employee #bugs #defects #clients #destiny

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking with the kind of career you wanted when there were so many obstacles in the way. Even if you took a sideways move to something similar it's all learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Thanks for your time and feedback. True. There was a such turning point in 2018. Thanks again. I hope you enjoyed the post. Have a nice day, dear... :)

      Delete